Thursday 31 January 2013

Lakeshore Lodge, Sandbanks Provincial Park. 

Late January, Ken and I went out to Sandbanks area to try out my Christmas present, a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 camera.  It was an extremely cold day and to make matters worse, the wind was howling.  We did however have great ice formations to photograph - unlike the previous week, when the ice had not yet formed along the shore.  As I am just learning how to use my new camera, I had some difficulty with my exposure, due to the glare of the ice, but am hoping to learn more as time goes by.  I was shooting in Aperture Mode and playing with +/- EV settings to get the best exposure.  I hope to be able to have some great shorts to share on this blog in the future, as I learn more on the workings of my camera.  So, stay tuned.




On approaching the water we were delighted to find a flock of winter ducks bobbing up and down on the icy water.





Getting down closer to the shore helped to get us out of the cold wind blowing off the lake.  Here we found great ice formations seeping out of the rocks.  This one reminds me a little of alligator teeth.




Water lapping up from the waves created some neat ice formations on some low hanging branches.




The suns rays helped to give a sparkle to the ice floating in the water, as Ken walked further along the shore from me.

Finally, it became too cold for me to continue along the shoreline, so we hiked back up to land where the trees gave us a little shelter from the wind.  I shot this silhouette of the trees against the sun's reflection on the water.

1 comment:

  1. I love photos of icicles, they always turn out great. Also that is a great blue sky! I bet it was cold... the bluer the sky the colder I find it is.

    ReplyDelete